Back to main FAQ

Research groups requesting an allocated number of walltime hours on HPC system, will submit an allocation form to CHPC. Requests may be for up to 4 quarters at a time. Allocation Requests are due the first day of December, March, June, and September for allocations starting the following quarter. The request must be made by the principal investigator of the project, who must be a faculty member. During that month the allocation committee will meet to review proposals and award allocations.

Proposals are due once every four quarters on June 1, September 1, December 1, and March 1. Research groups are only required to write one proposal per year.

Allocations are managed on a calendar quarter and begin the 1st day of each calendar quarter: July 1, October 1, January 1, and April 1.

You can check with another PI to see if they have SUs available and are willing to transfer the units to your account. To transfer the units the PI must send e-mail to (

Remember that even though you are our of service units, your jobs will still run, but at a much lower priority.

On updraft and ember, jobs running without allocation can be pre-empted by jobs with allocation if needed.

Back to main FAQ
Last Modified: February 08, 2011 @ 14:44:18