Skip to content


In order to utilize the services provided by CHPC, you need to have for an account with us. This is a fairly simple process. All CHPC accounts are either for faculty at a Utah institution or are sponsored by faculty at the CHPC or another Utah institution. PLEASE NOTE that an account is for an individual and accounts are not to be shared under any circumstances.

Getting an account

  1. Make sure you have an active uNID
    You must be provisioned at the University of Utah campus level with a valid, active uNID (University of Utah ID number) in order to be provisioned at CHPC. If you have an active uNID then you can proceed to Step 2. If you do not have an active uNID then, find information for obtaining an active uNID below:
  2. Complete the CHPC account application (fill out the form here)
    You will be asked to sign in at the campus level. If you are faculty and wish to become a CHPC PI, you will need to select "I am a New PI (Faculty Only)" on the faculty advisor drop down. If you are a student, staff, post-doc, or an affiliate of the University, and your sponsor is listed in the drop down, you can proceed by selecting that PI. If your PI is not listed, you will need to request that he/she be set up as a CHPC PI by selecting "Not Listed (Invite PI to set up account)"; this will send the PI a message requesting that he/she complete the CHPC account creation process.  If you are a PI requesting an account for a user, the user will receive an email asking for validation of his/her email address.
    Application for a student account for a class is in a separate Student Account Application form. This form uses an account authentication token which the instructor can see at the Classes List page.
  3. Approval
    If you are a new PI, a senior staff member at CHPC will review and approve your account. We like to sit down and discuss your particular research use case to make sure you can get the most out of your experience at CHPC. 
    If your account is to be sponsored by a PI, an email will be sent to the PI asking for approval. After the PI approves, CHPC will provision your account. An email will be sent to you with details. 


Getting an active uNID

If you are a faculty member from another Utah institution of higher education (e.g USU, UVU, SUU, UTU, Snow College, Weber State University)

  • You will need to send a request to asking CHPC to request a uNID for you. Please include your full name, email address, and date of birth.
    • Note that this request must be completed by CHPC staff.
    • You MUST use the correct date of birth as this information is used to verify identity of the affiliates (as the social security number is not required). If false birthdates are used, the application will be rejected.
    • For USU faculty members, as part of the process CHPC staff will also request that you, as the head of your research group, be given access to request uNIDs for members of your group.

If requesting uNIDs for members of your lab

  • If you have already been setup as a CHPC PI you may request uNIDs for your group by filling out the form and make sure to select 10020 - CHPC  for the affiliate type and 00640 -  CHPC. Ctr High Perf Computing for the Authorizing Deparmtent in order to be correctly provisioned to access CHPC systems. See the mockup of the affiliate request form for more information.
  • The above link will take you to a link where you are given several options: Request Affiliate, Deactivate Affiliate, Extend Affiliate Access, View Request Status.
    • Fornew affiliate IDs or to renew expired affiliate uNIDs, use the "Request Affiliate" option. Please note that if you include the existing uNID on the form, the process is usually quicker.
    • On the form there is a start and end date. By default the start date is the date the form is completed and the end date is 6 months from that date, however you can update this to be up to 1 year. Currently 1 year is the maximum duration allowed for an affiliate uNID before needing to be renewed. 

If you are collaborating with others at the University of Utah

  • If you are not a University of Utah or Utah State University faculty staff or student, but are collaborating with others at the University, you will need to request that the faculty member sponsoring your account fill out this form: Make sure to have them select 10020 - CHPC in order to be correctly provisioned to access CHPC systems. Affiliate IDs can be requested for up to 1 year (will need to manually modify end date to be 1 year); if they are needed for a longer period of time they will need to be renewed, as discussed above.  Here is a mockup of the form with some comments.

A few things to note on obtaining uNIDs: 

  • When the uNID is created, the person making the request will receive an e-mail message. This email should be sent to the person whose unid it is so that they can change the uNID password as instructed in the e-mail.
  • Please allow one business day after the start date of  listed on the affiliate form, or overnight if the start date has already passed, for the uNID to become active.
  • Passwords are created through CIS. Please go to  and use the UNID as the username with a lowercase u replacing the first zero. The initial password will be the birth date in the format MMDDYY with no dashes, slashes, or spaces. If successful a password expired screen will appear. Click the link and create a permanent password. The username will not change.
  •  Affiliate uNIDs expire and expired uNIDs can be reactivated. The authorizing department gets a list of upcoming expiring affiliates weekly.  Therefore, by specifying CHPC as the authorizing deparment as mentioned above, the uNID requested will show up on our list.  We check for recent account activity, and if the account is actively being used, we renew. Otherwise we let the uNID expire.
  • If access has been added to an existing University ID and the orginal password is forgotten, or for any other issues logging in, please contact the Campus Help Desk at 801-581-4000 ext. They can reset the password to your DOB.

Getting accounts for a class that needs access to CHPC resources:

To set up accounts for class use of CHPC, please make a request via  Include the class name (i.e., CHEM 4500), the instructor's name, approximate number of students, and date by which accounts are needed.  CHPC will then set up a class account with the instructor as the CHPC PI, and provide the instructor with a token to provide to members of the class.  The students will use the token to request a CHPC account as part of the class at the a special account application web link that is sent along with the token to the class instructor.  The token will work for students new to CHPC as well as students who have an existing CHPC account. See the article on "New CHPC Class Account Provisioning" in the Summer 2020 CHPC Newsletter for additional details.

What getting an account means

Every account provisioned at CHPC will get the following:

  • Login (command line) access to all currently supported clusters. 
  • Access to the cognizant PI's allocation (to run jobs at priority).
  • A home directory with a default quota of 50G, which is not backed up, unless your PI has purchased home directory space. If that is the case, then the space is backed up and the quota policies are set by the PI working with the CHPC.
  • Access to scratch directory space provided for users to store intermediate files required during the duration of a job on one of the HPC clusters. Additional file storage can be obtained in the form of group space, purchased by the PI on a per-TB basis. 
  • Subscription to CHPC-managed email lists. All accounts will be subscribed to the list, where we post outages, news, and other information pertinent to the research computing community on campus.
  • Access to the CHPC issue tracking system (service-now).

Deprovisioning of accounts

The deprovisioning of CHPC user accounts can be requested by the PI or the PI delegate via our ticketing system,

For more information:

Last Updated: 6/5/24